Donate

Monday, May 5, 2014

Valley Tour Spring 2014 (part 2) MJC




The Peace Panel Project MJC Spring exhibit got an announcement in the morning daily Modesto Bee that Wednesday.  I was stoked as I pulled into Modesto Junior College 8 am;  checked in with Brenda, V.P. of Student Services and set up six easels and eighteen Panels.  It turned out to be finals week!  So traffic was way down from a week ago.  Still I sold some books and handed out a lot of flyers; educated some kids to GMOs and had a half sheet Action Alert with phone numbers for them to call Legislators on the issue.  I told them that this was their opportunity to participate in government; hassle a legislator.  : )   : )

I was in touch with the Modesto Peace/Life Center and offered to hand out their flyers at CSUS and MJC.  They said they didn’t have any ready to go, so I offered to put some together for them.  John and James sent me some files and I was able to get their ok on a final brochure to print and pass out at the events.

I got real interest from some students who firmly shook my hand and thanked me.  One student who came by said he heard about it on Facebook!  One recounted an article he had read recently, that reasoned that we no longer live in a democracy, but an oligarchy.  He explained how he took the article to his government class and the teacher read highlights of it to the entire class and how his professor agreed with the article’s conclusion! 

A homeless guy came by and thanked me for a Career Builders brochure.  

A very fit Hispanic guy came by just when I needed help.  He seemed interested as I untied the ramp so I showed him how to do a clove hitch and let him do one for practice.  When the cart was loaded I offered to pay him.  He said, “No, I’m good” And gave me a big smile as he departed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment